Have you heard about Iron Gall Ink?
The Macao Institute of Conservation and Restoration of Cultural Relics and the University of Saint Joseph will hold the Course, Conservation of Iron Gall Ink Objects. Attendats will be learning the theory behind the concept but will also have the opportunity to practice with real objects.
Theory: December 8th to 12th 2018.
1) The history, the techniques of manufacturing and the aging of iron gall ink;
2) Conservation case studies of iron gall ink objects;
3) Introduction to the methodologies and materials used for conserving iron gall ink objects;
4) Evaluation of the conservation treatment.
Practice: Jan - April 2019 (40 hrs)
1) Different methods of manufacturing the iron gall inks;
2) Accelerate aging experiments;
3) Full conservation treatment of an iron gall ink object - documentation, testing, dry cleaning, deacidification, phytate treatment, restoration, etc.;
4) Evaluation of the conservation treatment;
5) Housing of an iron gall ink object.